Thursday, October 27, 2011

Why all the changes?

If you've been checking in lately, you may have noticed I've been changing the layout.. a lot. And not just little changes. We're talking big, jumping from Stephen King to Mary Poppins sort of changes [an aside: yes, I know I reference Mr. King quite a bit... but I'm going on a bit of a King kick right now so let me be, won't you?]. So I'll just go ahead and say it.

My blog is having an identity crisis.

And why shouldn't it? After all, a writer's blog is no longer just a blog. It is a place to show how witty and smart and charming you are. It's a place potential agents may stumble upon. It's a place other authors might look at. It is your platform. So it sure as hell better reflect you in a positive light.

My first layout was all ravens and darkness and trying to invoke feelings of seriousness and brooding. It was great for someone who wrote horror stories or chilling thrillers. I am not that person, and so the layout had to go. The next one had bright colors and happy smiling people and unicorns (OK, it didn't really have unicorns, but it would have... eventually). Just as I am not a horror writer - although I do have a thing for zombies - so am I not a child book author. Or, you know, the person who wrote the Sweet Valley High series.

As they say in the biz, three times a charm and so here you  have it. My new (and hopefully last) layout. It is simple with a splash of whimsy. The posts are clear and easy to read, which was high on my priority list. There is just enough color. And I am sort of in love with my main icon which I found over at The Frequent Peacock. It is an old cigar box emblem and I am a sucker for things that have old in front of them. No, I don't resemble the woman in any way, shape, or form nor does she represent any of my characters... but how cool does she look, sitting up on her throne with her hand on the world? That's right, pretty frickin' cool.

So there you have it. My new and (hopefully) improved blog layout. Let the chaos continue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment